Health and Safety Specialist
Company: Li-Cycle Inc.
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Reporting to the Director of Health and Safety, the Health and Safety Specialist will be responsible for driving sustainable implementation and oversight of health and safety requirements in Li-Cycle operations. As company growth continues, it is anticipated that the scope of this role will be expanded to include regional support responsibilities for additional facilities.
Our ideal candidate will be a driven individual with high attention to detail and organization, and a positive “can-do” attitude.
- Spearhead sustenance of “high quality safety culture” in the operations spaces assigned
- Support the development and implementation of key health and safety programs and action plans to ensure safe work procedures and sustainable operations
- Provide necessary training, leadership, organization and control to meet the company's health and safety performance goals
- Assist in integrating Li-Cycle’s HSEQ management systems (e.g. ISO 45001) into ongoing operations
- Oversee programs for periodic inspections, documentation and response to corrective actions for workplace occupational health and safety
- Ensure all equipment and buildings owned or operated by the company comply with safety and fire regulations and any other Federal, Provincial/State and local regulations
- Assist in conducting incident investigations as necessary, including coaching and support for root cause analysis and tracking corrective actions to completion
- Promote and raise awareness of the impact of emerging health and safety issues, whether legislated or best practices
- Keep up to date with changes in occupational health and safety legislation and best practice initiatives
- Manage Incident Tracker Log and key performance metrics associated for the frontline operations
- Collaborate with Operations and the HSEQ Dept/Team on key preparedness processes, i.e. Emergency Response Planning, Spill(s) Management, Incident Reporting and Corrective Actioning
- Additional projects and duties as assigned by management as the organization continues to evolve/mature
- Team Player able to deliver high quality output in a fast evolving and dynamic operation(s) environment
- A degree or certificate in occupational health and safety or related field, or previous industry experience in a health and safety oversight role (minimum 3-5 years)
- Progress toward or completion of professional certification(s) in health and safety highly desired (e.g. ASP/CSP, OHST)
- Experience in developing and implementing health and safety programs and monitoring performance
- Operational understanding of key elements of ISO management system standards, particularly ISO 45001.
- Understand and have working knowledge of relevant Federal, Provincial/State and local health and safety rules and regulations
- Direct experience assessing training needs, creating training materials to fulfill those needs, and then delivering the training
- Experience in investigating health and safety incidents; reporting and following corrective action(s) to completion
- Data Analytical Skills and aptitude to develop in this space as a frontline leader
- A valid driver’s license and good driving record is necessary for this role
- Excellent time management and workload prioritization skills
- High level of sound and independent judgment and reasoning
- Ability to interpret and implement company policies and procedures
- Effective leadership skills required
- A hands-on contributor with a desire to work in a dynamic, mission-driven environment
- Ability to deal with sensitive topics in a tactful, diplomatic and professional matter at all times.
- High-level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel; as well as Teams, Zoom and other collaboration tools
- Proactive self-starter with an 'owner's mindset'
- Consistently delivers quality work on time, with a strong attention to detail
- Strong analytical, negotiation and creative problem-solving skills
- Exceptional oral communication, writing and editing skills
- Excellent telephone and email etiquette
- Motivated, methodical, and optimistic
Benefits of Working for Li-Cycle:
- High impact work: as a core member of the team, you have the opportunity to take a primary lead role and make a significant impact
- Global environmental impact: we are a clean technology company with a mission to reduce CO2 emissions globally to ensure a sustainable future for the environment
- Passionate team: we are pushing boundaries and are passionate about everything we do
Li-Cycle (NYSE:LICY) is on a mission to leverage its innovative Spoke & Hub Technologies™ to provide a customer-centric, end-of-life solution for lithium-ion batteries, while creating a secondary supply of critical battery materials. Lithium-ion rechargeable batteries are increasingly powering our world in automotive, energy storage, consumer electronics, and other industrial and household applications. The world needs improved technology and supply chain innovations to better manage battery manufacturing waste and end-of-life batteries and to meet the rapidly growing demand for critical and scarce battery-grade raw materials through a closed-loop solution.
For more information, visit https://li-cycle.com/.
Li-Cycle’s Spoke & Hub Technologies – a low cost, safe, and environmentally friendly process – can recycle all types of lithium-ion batteries, with an unparalleled recovery rate of ≥95% of all materials. Li-Cycle’s industry-leading innovations make it uniquely positioned to support a key element of the growing international movement towards zero carbon technologies. For more information, please visit: https://www.li-cycle.com/
For more information, you can view Li-Cycle's corporate video here:
Li-Cycle is an equal opportunity employer committed to Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging. Individuals seeking employment at Li-Cycle are considered without regard to any protected category including but not limited to, race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, diverse-ability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
Li-Cycle is focused on providing a barrier free Recruitment & Selection process. We will focus on experience and skills and will not discriminate against candidates who have a disability or require an accommodation throughout the Recruitment & Selection process.
Interested candidates should apply to Li-Cycle directly by submitting their resume through the Li-Cycle Career's page. Please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.